Keywords are the basic elements of every Search Engine Optimization, SEO. They determine what the results of your research will be. Before conducting any research, it is important to pay a closer look at the keyword you decide to use. Go for keywords that are relevant and high search volume as well.
Many marketers and business organizations are now adopting the use of long tail keywords. These are key words or phrases that are considered to be longer, in most cases, more than 3 words. It is widely agreed that long tail key words are specific hence getting less traffic value.
Example of a long tail keyword:
Typical keyword: national parks
Long tail keyword: national parks in Texas for camping
Your search results in the second instance will be more effective compared to the first instance. The “typical keyword” would have too much competition, but because the long tail instance is much more targeted and likely to yield the best results and click throughs. We are going to look at some of the importance of using long tail keywords. This is to make us understand what this type of keyword entails and why you should adopt it for a better search engine optimization.
Let’s begin with competition. Very many business organizations and sites rank something very broad. Let me use an example like software. If you have a small business dealing with software, it is most likely that your search engine results will never get a chance to see the light. This is because well established firms have already ranked their products with a similar keyword. Instead, going for a longer keyword such as “business accounting software for small businesses” may work best for you. This is because not many companies may consider to rank their products using such a long tail keyword thus less competition leading to profits.
Keeping Things Natural
A huge number of SEO today is coming up and sharing content. Some of these contents may be similar. It is thus important to naturally fix in your keywords. A good example of doing this is incorporating keywords in a blog post. This is to enable the blog post to appear within search over time. Most keywords that are incorporated naturally are long tail keywords. Using the same keywords over and over again may lead to negative consequences. For instance, Google may consider you a spammer thus leading to a penalty or ban. Spam keywords are often associated with short keywords. Using different, long tail keywords enhance natural flow of your post.
Impressive Search Volume
Long tail keywords have impressive search volume. Many people looking for a specific product in the internet often elaborate on what he/she is actually searching for. For example, a person searching for laptops which vary between $3000 -$4000 will always include the price element. This will lead to his keyword becoming longer, leading to the specific type of laptop he/she was looking for. Google revealed that keywords with 3-4 word are mostly searched compare to a one word keyword, although this number tends to decrease as words increase.
High Conversion Rate
Many people who opt for long tail keywords tend to look for a specific something or product. Such people have already spent some time doing research hence narrowing down to their specific item. This is not the case when it comes to broad words, this is because searchers are still in research mode, most of them still not certain on what they want. Referring to our initial example of software, a person searching for software may not be sure which type of software does he want, whereas a person searching for business accounting software for small businesses is sure of what he wants, leading to high conversion rate.
Connecting You with Your Audience
Another important aspect of using long tail keywords is that it helps you in connecting with your audience. Writing a high quality, useful content will definitely gain traction in search engines. SEO program is as good as what you deliver. Long tail keywords gives a better clue as to the type of content you offer. The type of audience flocking our website will already have an idea as to what you offer. At some point, you will want to sit down and come up with an effective long tail keyword. The perfect of dong this is analyzing which keywords deliver traffic to your various site pages and then incorporate them as keywords.
Due to less competition, fewer people are bidding on them hence cheap. Broad keywords may tend to expensive. This is because reputable firms in the market uses them often, meaning that there is a huge number of people bidding on them. It is thus cost-saving to go for long tail keywords which is quite cheaper but still profitable as well since most people visiting your website are most likely to buy your products.
As we have looked, long tail keywords come with various advantages:
- High conversion rate
- Impressive search volume
- Less expensive
- Helping you to connect with your audience
- Keeping things natural
- Less competition
- These are clear indications that they outperform broad keywords. However, long tail keywords are also used hand in hand with short keywords. It is important to come up with a good keyword that will traffic to your site. Always think about your audience, try and analyze what they actually need. You can adopt the following techniques when coming with long tail words;
- Try and use keywords combinations: it is important to master the art of combining words, the more elaborate and specific your keywords are, the greater the traffic.
- Creating rich-content pages: high quality pages will attract more visitors. This is because it has a rich content hence impressing more people.
- Using good site maps: the most recommended is the “3 clicks” rule.
- Inclusion of external links.The technique of long tail helps businesses to treat any potential customer with courtesy, through offering highly customized products. It is important to note that online marketing technique is very essential. Going for a long tail will adversely help you in exploiting the untapped potential. Some researchers are specific of what they really want, hence you coming up with a specific long tail keyword will obviously bridge the gap. In a more simple term, long tail optimization basically means making anything available for anyone.